When I was at the Rogue Runs Mountain Marathon I found the porridge that I ate from Expedition Foods too large and not to my taste. So, I went hunting for my own recipe that would taste better and be cheaper to make.
I found this recipe online: http://trekkingbritain.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/spicy-fruit-nut-porridge-perfect-camp.html
My recipe is a slight tweak to this and it tastes pretty good. I put the dried porridge in some 23x33cm Standup Ziplock Foil Mylar Pouches I bought off eBay, which can stand up on it’s own and withstand boiling water.
- Porridge Oats ( 5 tbsp ) – I used the Flahavan’s Irish Quick Oats bought at Sainsburys
- Muesli ( 2 tbsp ) – I used our house standard Dorset Cereals Simply Delicious Muesli bought at Sainsburys
- Dried Milk ( 1 tbsp ) – I used Marvel Dried Skimmed Milk Powder bought at Sainsburys
- Dried Dates ( 1tbsp chopped ) – I used two dates
- Raisins ( 1tbsp )
- Dried apples (1 tbsp) – Need to make sure you don’t add too many apples
- Brown Sugar ( 2 tsp )
- Salt ( 1/2 tsp ) – I used less salt than the original recipe, could be a pinch
- Cinnamon ( 1/2 tsp )
The whole thing is mixed up and to prepare you add 330 ml of boiling water, stir, seal the bag and let sit for 10 mins. I cut the bag short so it was easier to get my spoon in.
I’d post a picture, but it doesn’t look very good, although it tastes much better than it looks!